Hill House is hiring! We're looking for talented, fun-loving instructors, coaches, interns and more to join our team of passionate, dedicated individuals. Check out our open opportunities below:
Program Associate of Camp & Enrichment Programs
Hill House, a nonprofit community center located on Beacon Hill and serving Boston’s diverse downtown neighborhoods, seeks an energetic, enthusiastic leader to serve as Program Associate.
Hill House is an independent, non-profit community center that serves families living and working in Boston and is dedicated to providing year-round programs, events and outreach activities. Our mission is to create a stronger urban community that connects children and their families, and helps make it easier for parents to raise their children in the city.
Hill House has truly become the ‘backyard in the city’ for thousands of families. Hill House is one of the most successful community centers in the area and one of the fastest growing. There is an opportunity for an enterprising individual to help shape that growth while respecting and leveraging Hill House’s strong history.
The Program Associate assists the Program department’s Camp & Enrichment division in all aspects of Hill House’s program classes and summer camp. He or she will also provide administrative support to ensure the programs run effectively. This position is ideal for those just starting out in the job market after completing college or those with two to three years of experience looking to enhance their skills or non-profit management.
• Bachelor’s Degree with a background in communications, physical education, recreation management, or youth development a plus.
• Customer service orientation and the qualities of a good listener with strong follow-up/follow-throughs skills
• Excellent interpersonal, as well as verbal/written communication skills, as well as editing skills
• Strong organizational, project management, deadline awareness, personnel savvy, problem solving, and time management skills, as well as demonstrated ability to exhibit flexibility and critical thinking skills when issues arise.
• Ability to build relationships and community spirit
• Knowledge of MS Office software and the ability to learn/utilize online registration system
• Long-term interest in programs for children and/or nonprofit/small-business management.
• Get-it-done instinct and can-do-it attitude with the ability to work autonomously and with limited direction
• Assist in the oversight and administration of Hill House programs at all our facilities and athletics fields including (but not limited to) helping recruit, train, supervise, and manage instructors, coaches, and program assistants and classroom/field set-up and breakdown in the advance of/at the close of programs.
• Open or close the main administration building every weekday and ensure the building is set up for classes and meetings as needed.
• Act as primary contact for Hill House’s more than 2000 members and program participants.
• Manage ActiveNet, Hill House’s online registration and website management software. Tasks include data entry, assisting members with registrations, running reports, updating website content and managing credit cards, cash and checks.
• Manage and perform all administrative functions related to administration of Hill House programs, including: supply ordering, answering phones, data entry, filing, responding to email inquiries from program participants and member families, etc.
• Communicate course confirmations, cancellations and changes, and assist with or coordinate the promotion of events
• Work with music instructors and parents to schedule monthly private music
• Distribute program-related refund and income reports to Finance Manager on a regular basis and create and distribute other program reports, as needed.
• Set up classrooms in advance of programs and breakdown rooms and fields after programs have finished. Ability to lift 50 pounds is required, as classroom tables and chairs weigh about 25 lbs.
• Perform market research on new program offerings and evaluate competitor programs.
• Work closely with the Program Manager, Executive Director, Program Committee and Board to analyze existing programs, develop new programs, and identify partners to support existing or new programs.
• Assist the Program Manager and Summer Camp staff in developing and implementing program-related operational systems and policies.
• Assist in conducting and submitting seasonal inventory of all HH enrichment program equipment and supplies; ensure equipment is stored safely and properly; conduct safety checks for broken equipment; and with approval from Program Manager and Executive Director, submit and order supplies within budget seasonally.
• Maintain permit and facility calendar to ensure Hill House is meeting deadlines.
• Perform any administrative functions related to administration of Hill House programs, including: answering phones, data entry, filing, responding to email inquiries from program participants and member families, etc.
• Help fellow staff by providing support before, during, and after Hill House special events including (but not limited to) fundraising events, community outreach events, and other programs as needed.
• Provide support in programs for summer camp as directed by Program Manager and Executive Director.
• Other duties as assigned.
The Program Associate will report to Hill House’s Program Manager of Camp and Enrichment and will work closely with all other staff as he or she is a critical member of the Hill House year-round team.
Program Associate will be a full-time, 40-hour FLSA Exempt, salaried position with benefits. The Program Associate will work regular hours, in addition to some evenings and weekends in accordance with scheduling and Hill House special events.
He or she must have the ability and willingness to interact with the public on the phone and in person (including answering and initiating phone calls), specifically with families. The Program Coordinator must also have the ability to lift heavy boxes, tables and chairs weighing up to 50 lbs and other light physical tasks including (but not limited to) setting up conference rooms, carrying equipment, and cleaning. Like all Hill House employees, the Program Associate is expected to contribute to a culture based upon respect, teamwork and collaboration.
Other responsibilities may be required by the Executive Director to fulfill the mission and goals of Hill House. All employees are expected to contribute to a culture of teamwork and collaboration.
Salary & Benefits
• Mission-driven and community-centric environment
• Salary range is $35k-$45k (commensurate with direct and applicable experience)
• Medical, dental, and vision insurance (eligible upon hire) - Hill House pays 80%
• Simple IRA retirement benefits through Fidelity with a company match
• Generous paid time off to include flexible/open leave policy for vacation (eligible after 30 days of employment).
• Ten paid holidays
• Paid two-week (approximate) shutdown period (weeks just before Christmas through New Years - calendar dependent)
• Professional Development and Training opportunities
• Potential year-end and holiday bonuses depending on organization’s performance.
• Please submit a cover letter and resume to Jamie Kelly at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Athletics Associate (general coaching)
- Referee (Soccer, Flag Football)
- United Soccer Associate
- Travel Soccer Head Coach
- Day Camp Counselor (starts June 2024)
- Kiddie Kamp Counselor (starts June 2024)
For all athletics staff opportunities, please email a cover letter and your resume to our Athletics Manager, John King, at email@example.com